Activating an Unlocked iPhone with Straight Talk SIM Card Program
An unlocked iPhone 3g, 3gs , 4 or 4s is the easiest type to activate with the Straight Talk SIM card because you can use either TMobile or AT&T. Not only that, but you also get full access to the Network Settings screen which allows you to enter the new Straight Talk APN and MMS settings without jumping through hoops like you do on an AT&T locked iPhone. So let's get started activating your unlocked iPhone!
1. Activate your Straight Talk Sim card on the Straight Talk Web page. Your sim kit comes with a red card that denotes your SIM card serial number. The serial number can also be found on the SIM card itself should you not have the serial number card. It is the underlined number printed on the front of the SIM card. It typically takes under 1 hr for Straight Talk to activate the SIM. In most cases, the SIM is active within 10 minutes.
2. Insert your newly activated SIM card into your iPhone. The SIM card tray is located at the top on 3g / 3gs models and on the right side on 4 / 4s models. Use a bent paperclip to unlock the tray. The trays have a small hole where to stick the paper clip.
iPHone 3g/3gs Sim Tray
iPHone 4 Sim Tray
3. If this is a new phone, or if it's new to you, it's time to sync to iTunes before you can use it. Install iTunes if you haven't already. Follow the iTunes prompts to complete the sync. Once the sync is complete, your phone should display HOME 3g along with signal bars. Don't worry if it doesn't say AT&T, this is normal. At this point, you should be able make/receive calls along with send/receive regular text messages. You may want to make a test call to be sure it's active.
4. Now it's time to activate your data. This will be simple process so long as you have access to the Cellular Data Network screen. Unlocked iPhones should all have this available.
5. Go to Settings->General->Network. You should see the Cellular Data Network option.
6. Select the Cellular Data Network option and enter your Straight Talk Settings depending on the carrier as shown below:
MMS PROXY 184.108.40.206:80
MMS PROXY not used
7. That's it, your phone is now fully active. Reboot the phone and visit some sites to test data and send some picture messages to test MMS. Enjoy!