Straight Talk iPhone Says HOME instead of AT&T for Carrier Name and Carrier Not Available
First, this will not work on IOS 3.0 or above. To be more precise, it will probably work the first time you do it on IOS above 3.0 but the phone will revert back within a few minutes so don't bother with this unless you have IOS 3 or lower.
You will need to update your carrier settings file or IPCC file in the case where your phone says HOME instead of AT&T on the top left corner. You can also verify that you need to perform this fix by going to Settings->General->About and checking the Carrier entry. If it says Carrier Not Available, then you need to perform this fix. You will be unable to get your MMS to work without it. At some point your phone will go back to HOME for the carrier but that won't matter.
1. First, you need to set your iTunes to recognize IPCC files with the following:
On a Mac machine, open a terminal window by clicking Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal. Type or paste the following command followed by the return key: defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool TRUE
On a Windows 7/Vista machine, click on the Start bubble and type CMD in the Search Programs and files box. Double click the cmd.exe program. You can also get to it by going to Sart->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt. Copy the following command, then Paste it in the Command prompt window by right clicking and selecting Paste "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1 . You should get another command line without an error. If you get something like '"C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe"' is not recognized as an internal or external command, use "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1
On an XP machine, go to Start and type cmd in the Run box. Use the following command "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1 . Same as above but without the (x86) You should get another command line without an error.
2. Next, we will download the necessary file from Apple. http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iPhone/CarrierBundles/061-7282.20090925.3Sph5/ATT_US.ipcc . Be sure to save it someplace where you can find it.
3. Now we fire up iTunes with your phone tethered to your computer. iTunes will recognize your phone, click on it under Devices on the left. Then while pressing the Shift key on a Windows machine or Option key on a Mac, click on either the Restore or Check for Update button.
4. You will now get a window to select the file carrier file you downloaded. You will need to change the file type using the dropdown on the bottom right hand corner by selecting iPhone/iPad Carrier Configuration file (*.ipcc)
5. Your phone is updated when iTunes says sync complete. You can now complete the steps on the Straight Talk iPhone MMS set uppage.